"THE EPISTLE TO THE PHILIPPIANS"
Paul's Son And Brother (Ph 2:19-30)
1. We have already observed that this epistle is very personal in nature
2. Further proof of this is now seen as we consider Paul's remarks
concerning two men; one described as a "son" to Paul, the other as a
"brother" (Ph 2:19-30)
3. Paul's comments reveal that these two men demonstrated the "mind of
Christ" about which Paul encouraged the Philippians to have earlier
in this chapter
[In this study, we shall notice in what ways these two men demonstrated
the "mind of Christ" in their service to their brethren, beginning
I. TIMOTHY, PAUL'S "SON" (Vs 19-24)
A. WHAT WERE PAUL'S PLANS CONCERNING TIMOTHY?
1. To send him to Philippi shortly (v23)
a. That when Timothy returns, Paul might be encouraged by their
condition (Ja 4:15)
2. But sending Timothy would be delayed until Paul's condition was
more fully known (Ph 2:2
3) Therefore, Timothy was the best "alternate" in the place
b. Who would "sincerely care for your state" (Ac 16:1-12)
2) So Timothy had good reasons to be close to the brethren
a) It was "his" first missionary effort
b) He had known of them from the very beginning of their
existence as a congregation
c. No other person was better suited, therefore, for this
2. His devotion to Christ surpassed others (Ph 2:4-5
b. So no one else surpassed Timothy in having the "mind of
3. He had proved his service in similar errands (1 Co 4:17
b. He had done so with humility: "as a son with his father he
served with me"
c. Again, Timothy demonstrated the "mind of Christ" - Ph 2:3
[Such was the young man Timothy: a beloved "son" to the apostle, whose
attitudes of humility and service made him a useful instrument in
Now let's consider...]
II. EPAPHRODITUS, PAUL'S "BROTHER" (Vs 25-30)
A. WHO WAS EPAPHRODITUS? (Ph 4:18
5. "who ministered to my needs" - now with Paul, he offered
himself in service to him
B. WHAT KIND OF MAN WAS HE?
1. A man of love and concern for his brethren at Philippi (Vs 26-27)
a. He longed for his brethren while away from them
b. He had been sick, and was distressed they knew about it
2. A man devoted to the work of Christ (1 Jn 3:16
3. A man who did not mind being a "messenger"
a. He had brought the gift to Paul from Philippi - Ph 4:18
b. More than likely, he carried this epistle back to the
Philippians (v29) - WHY?
a. Because they demonstrate the humility and love so essential to the
cause of Christ
b. Because they rendered service to God and His church which is just
as essential as that offered by men like Paul and Peter
2. The church today needs more people like these two men, to provide the
backup and support necessary for the cause of Christ
3. We man not be a "Paul" or a "Peter", but we can be a "Timothy" or an
"Epaphroditus" (i.e., God's "second string")!
4. All we need are the same attitudes they had:
a. Sincere concern for the condition of others
b. Seeking first the things of Christ
c. A willingness to serve others
d. A willingness to sacrifice themselves, even to the point of death
In other words, the "mind of Christ"!
About These Outlines ~~~ Submit An Outline ~~~ Back To Main Outlines ~~~ Home Page