"THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT"
Asking, Seeking, Knocking (Mt 7:7-11)
1. In Mt 7:1-12 , we are examining the "righteousness of the kingdom"
in respect to MAN'S RELATIONSHIP TO MAN...
2. Three subjects are discussed by Jesus in this section:
a. Judging Others - Mt 7:1-6
b. Asking, Seeking, Knocking - Mt 7:7-11
c. The Golden Rule - Mt 7:12
3. In Jesus' comments on JUDGING OTHERS, we found Him telling us:
a. To abstain from judging others, yet also to determine who are
"hogs" and "dogs"
b. Not to be overly critical, yet proper judgement must be made
c. To be humble and patient, yet not to "cast our pearls before
4. How can we have the wisdom to judge properly in these matters?
a. Ja 1:5-8 tells us that wisdom comes from God through prayer
b. So it is not surprising that in conjunction with the matter of
judging others, Jesus discusses an important principle that relates
especially to prayer...
[What is Jesus teaching us in this section on "Asking, Seeking,
I. THE PRINCIPLE BEING TAUGHT IS THAT OF PERSEVERANCE (Vs 7-8)
A. IMPLIED IN THE CONTINUOUS ACTION OF THE GREEK PRESENT TENSE
-- Literally, Jesus is saying:
1. "keep on asking" and it will be given to you
2. "keep on seeking" and you will find
3. "keep on knocking" and it will be opened to you
B. JESUS OFTEN APPLIED THIS PRINCIPLE OF PERSEVERANCE TO "PRAYER"
1. In the parable of "The Persistent Friend" - Lk 11:5-8
2. In the parable of "The Persistent Widow" - Lk 18:1-8
C. THIS PRINCIPLE OF PERSEVERANCE CAN ALSO BE APPLIED IN OTHER AREAS
1. Such as Bible Study
a. Many people give up too soon in their Bible studies
b. But those who persevere in their studies are the ones who
benefit from the blessings God's Word provides - cf. Ps 1:1-3;
2. Or Evangelism
a. Many do not bear fruit because they give up too soon
b. But we reap what we sow; the more persistent we are in
sowing, the more we will eventually reap
II. A MOTIVE FOR PERSEVERING, ESPECIALLY WITH REGARD TO PRAYER (Vs 9-11)
A. GOD DELIGHTS TO GIVE GOOD THINGS TO HIS CHILDREN...
1. To illustrate, Jesus gives a simple argument (from the LESSER
to the GREATER)
2. I.e., men give good gifts to their children who ask
3. How much more so, will our Father in heaven.
B. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE WITH REGARD TO PRAYER.
1. As Jesus promised to His disciples in Jn 14:13-14; Jn 15:7
2. As the apostle John wrote in 1 Jn 5:14-15
3. And as James wrote in Ja 4:3
In all things, let us persistently look to God for the help we need.
Especially when it comes to judging others, so that we might receive
the wisdom to do so without violating our Lord's teachings.
About These Outlines ~~~ Submit An Outline ~~~ Back To Main Outlines ~~~ Home Page